Most after-school programs serve a snack to keep children focused throughout the afternoon. But many children eat lunch hours before the after-school program, sometimes as early as 10:30 in the morning, and they need more than just a snack to make it through the afternoon. The Supper Program provides a healthy meal after school hours for eligible students.
- Increases: Participation; sales of milk, cheese and yogurt
- Enhances: School meal image
- Engages: Students, teachers, nutrition staff, whole school
- Enables: More access to food
- Reduces: Nurse visits, behavior issues
- Improves: Academic performance, your bottom line
- What are your free and reduced numbers?
- How early is your first lunch period?
- How many students attend after-school programs?
- Do you have the support of your principal and staff?
- How will your staff’s roles and responsibilities change?
- How will you record meals served (i.e., checklist, roster, POS terminal, etc.)?