Resource Roundup: Dairy Food Hacks During COVID-19
Life is challenging right now – we’re all feeling the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic. When it comes to our routines, most have been turned on their head.
One silver lining of the current situation: most of us are spending more time in our kitchens. In fact, a recently released consumer survey on the impact of COVID-19 revealed that nearly half of all survey respondents (47%) were eating more home cooked meals. The grocery store might have been our first indication of this shift in behavior – with items such as beef, dairy and baking supplies flying off the shelves.
As a crucial part of the American supply chain, dairy farmers have not stopped working during this pandemic. They continue to provide the milk for our favorite dairy foods. Whether it’s the cheese for your homemade pizza or the milk for your morning cereal, dairy farmers’ commitment has remained unchanged.
In honor of the 900 hardworking dairy farm families in our 8-state territory, we’ve pulled together some of our most popular resources for your clients and patients on entertaining the family and getting the most out of their dairy supply.
- Don’t let your milk expire: freeze, cook or bake with it.
- What about cheese or yogurt that you're worried will spoil? Freeze it!
- Or, check out our other favorite tips to make use of leftover dairy products.
- Did you know that shelf stable milk is real milk that can be stored in the pantry until you open it?
- How about powdered milk? See 7 Ways to Use Dry Milk Powder: A Pantry Staple.
- Looking for a new recipe and have whole milk at home? Try this delicious Labneh recipe.
- Looking for something to do with your kiddos that is both fun and healthy? Learn to make your own yogurt.
- Gym closed and no weights at home? You can upcycle your milk jugs to get a sustainable sweat session in your own living room.
- Cook up some yummy homework by teaching kids math in the kitchen.
- Try some of our kid-friendly crafts and games using your empty milk jugs and other things you have around the house!
- For a new and different family activity, check out this Discovery Ed virtual farm tour – complete with a downloadable lesson plan!
We’ve created a COVID-19 response page highlighting some of the dairy community’s stories of collaboration, generosity and hope – may they provide inspiration during this unprecedented time.